A small village chapel tucked away in the heart of Grittleton.
The chapel was opened in 1721 and is a largely unaltered example of an early 18th century chapel with its fittings. There are galleries at either end and a small burial ground alongside.
Grittleton Strict Baptist Chapel opened in 1721. It was somewhat old fashioned in style for its time and domestic in character; on the east side are four mullioned and transomed windows which might have been built 100 years earlier.
The interior is well preserved. A central aisle leads to a pulpit and seat for a preacher. There are box pews and even a diminutive child’s pew. There are galleries at each end. Baptism of the congregation was performed in mill ponds nearby, which probably explains why there is no baptismal font within the chapel.
There is a small burial ground adjacent, now closed to burials. Grittleton is a relatively untouched example of an early 18th century chapel. The land for the chapel was given by a previous owner of Grittleton House – the mansion next door – and access was originally across the estate. In the nineteenth century a new owner of Grittleton House walled off the chapel, hence the secluded enclave in which the chapel is today set – in the heart of the village but far from obvious.
Grittleton was acquired by the Historic Chapels Trust in 2011 with lighting and basic heating.
A programme of repairs has been carried out and in 2015 the entrance gates and tottering gate piers were rebuilt, making access on foot possible.
The chapel is available for hire for concerts and events.
You can download a short guide to Grittleton Chapel here.
Grittleton village is south west of Malmesbury about half a mile north of the M4.
Nearest rail station Chippenham, from where taxis are usually available.
The chapel is entered off The Street through iron gates beside a red phone box and the village noticeboard. The gate and chapel are normally locked, but we welcome visitors and groups.The key is available on application to the Neeld Arms pub 100 metres away in Grittleton High Street or from the volunteer keyholder on 01666 822730.
Please park in the village street or Village Hall car park – and please don’t try to drive down the short track to the chapel.
The chapel is available to hire for events and makes a delightful and intimate concert venue, seating up to 70. There is no WC or kitchen.
For all enquiries about Grittleton Baptist Chapel please use the Contact Us form.